Years ago, a small group of Chinese Christians in Charlotte started meeting at Carmel Baptist Church off Pineville-Matthews Road. That group grew over the years, starting a worship service in Mandarin, birthing new groups and ministries. In 2014, Carmel worked with that group of over 200 adults, youth, and children to call two new pastors to help lead the planting of a new church. Pastor Haohsin Huang, the senior pastor, oversaw the Mandarin-language ministry and the church as a whole. Pastor Walton Yuen directed the English-language, multi-ethnic ministry arm of the church.
In May of 2016, our church launched out from Carmel under the name Grace One Church. Based on Ephesians 4, the name captured the idea of living out the grace we have been given through Jesus Christ and the powerful calling to unity as a church family. At Grace One, we are aware of the distinct Asian heritage and flavor in our church, yet we also recognize the incredible opportunities and calling to advance God’s Kingdom all throughout our city.
We met at Southern Evangelical Seminary from May 2016 – February 2018, and we are currently meeting at the Antioch Elementary School for most of our ministries as of March 2018 while we are building our new church at 2609 Chestnut Lane, Matthews, NC 28104 (click Church Building Project 2018 for more information). While we are waiting to move into our new church in early 2020, we continue to press in for a greater outpouring of His Spirit upon our city.
“A Picture of where God is leading us”
We see a church family that magnifies God, through:
- Gospel-transformed lives (2 Cor 5:17; Rom 12:2)
- Grace-overflowing community (Heb 10:24-25)
- Cross-cultural mission (Matt 28:18-20)
“What we hold to be good”
- Worshipful living
- Dependent prayer
- Scripture-centered discipleship
- Christ-centered family life
- Close-knit church family
- Compassionate serving
- Generous lifestyle
“What we hold to be true”
- God is the one true and living God: Father, Son, and Spirit.
- Jesus Christ who died on the cross and was resurrected comes as our Lord and Savior.
- Holy Spirit is our counselor and lives within all believers.
- The Bible as the revealed Word of God.
- Salvation comes only through repentance and trust in Jesus’ work on the cross.
- The Church is the Body of Christ, all the redeemed, which also exists in local congregations.
- The Ordinances given by God as steps of faith and obedience are Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.